🔔
🔎

Raw eggs

I realize this might sound stupid, but I'm genuinely curious. I've always been told not to eat cookie dough due to the raw eggs in it and therefore a risk of salmonella. Well, what about dippy eggs? Is the bacteria found in the whites?

asked by skittle over 2 years ago

What is a dippy egg?

Waffle3

There's no such thing as a stupid question. So, in that light, what the heck is a dippy egg?

In the U.S., official estimates put the risk of a contaminated egg at 1 in 20,000. The risk is the same whether the egg is from a grocery store, certified organic farm or from your own chickens. Chickens aren't affected by salmonella bacteria so their health is not an indicator. We've come a long way in recent years but if there were an easy answer, the risk would be down to zero.

According to the experts, it's the yolk that's most often contaminated (pathway is through the chicken's reproductive system).

If the risk is too high, pasteurized eggs are available. I'm not sure about commercial cookie dough but I think I remember warnings about consuming it raw (check the label). Commercial mayo, and any mayo made properly*, is safe. The acid environment is inhospitable to bacteria.

There's been much discussion about the subject here lately. Down toward the bottom of this thread there's a link to official information:

http://www.food52.com/hotline...

(*Discussion for another time)

LOL glad I am not the only one who had no idea. IF it is a fried egg with the yolk still runny then the answer is yes, that egg is undercooked and still at risk for salmonella. Not that I worry about that risk, but that is my POV and adequately discussed above. :)

I agree use quality eggs and you'll be fine. And I must be the only other person who knows what dippy eggs are. Must be a PA Dutch thing or east coast thing. But FYI dippy eggs are either sunny side up or very over light.

Food52

Wow, had you not explained what it is, I would have gone on thinking that dippy eggs were a brand of store bought, fake egg product.

Dippy eggs... Makes so much sense now.

P1291120

And, while I tend to "take a walk on the wild side" and eat (ahem, taste) my own raw cookie, cake, muffin dough/batter regularly, it is interesting to note that the premade cookie doughs that are in the grocery refrigerator case have BIG warnings about not eating raw. I understand a number of people have become very ill from eating the premade raw dough. Just another interesting "smile and file" note with regard to the difference in homemade versus store bought (and the cookie dough manufacturers' argued that they never expected anyone to eat the dough raw -- really??? -- and that it was not an approved use. Hmmm...)

Waffle3

The risk from store-bought dough and what you make at home is exactly the same. Those warnings are there to give the company a defense in the event of litigation, they're not an indication of any increased risk from the products. But it's a good thing for the public too, many of whom aren't aware of the risks or, because they didn't crack an egg themselves, need a reminder right before they put their children in harm's way by sneaking a piece before they're baked.

Oh I'm sorry! Yes, dippy eggs are what my family's always called them. Sunny side up would be another way to label them. They white is fried but the yolk is left uncooked....so it's easy to "dip". My apologies!