Hi, does anyone know where I can buy Ginger flower in the Bay Area?

asked by Archita Patel over 2 years ago
Noz_photo

I would check out groceries in San Francisco's Chinatown!

Good idea. You might also try Real Foods.

Archita_patel_food52_pic

Yea, I am going to try going there soon. It's just a drive so i figured i would ask if anyone knows of a place. thank you though. :)

Scan0004

I don't know what 'ginger flower' is. Is it powdered dry ginger (might be ginger flour?) which would be the commonly available spice; is it some form of flowers from the ginger plant? or some kind of baking flour with some form of ginger added? Sorry, I'd like to know how it is used.

Archita_patel_food52_pic

Hi Susan, Ginger flower, is the flower of a ginger plant. It's an ingredient in Asam Laksa (a Malaysian dish). I believe it is also used in other dishes as well. I have never used it before. But, wanted to try it out.

Smokin_tokyo

Myoga Hey Susan, Just back from the grocery store where I bought MYOGA-- which I thought was ginger flower, but Wikipedia says no, its Myoga Ginger. So I think Archita is looking for this maybe

http://nyonyafood.rasamalaysia...

I know how to use myoga but not flowertorch ginger.
I took the picture and was going to upload but

Smokin_tokyo

It worked!

Scan0004

BGT. thanks for the photo! That looks like a grocer's tray that they're on. Archita, did you find them? They look remarkable!

Smokin_tokyo

Yes, Susan, I bought these at the grocers. Mine in the garden don't start coming up until July and they keep coming up for about 6 weeks. Myoga Ginger is not really a flower but the bud next to the ground that will become the flower stalk.

Archita, did you find find your flower-torch ginger?

Smokin_tokyo

Sorry, that description sounds quite terrible. It's really a great fresh ginger taste usually eaten raw to accent flavors like in chicken salad, etc.