Sourdough Starter

We're going on a long road trip, and I have a wonderful sourdough starter that I want to survive our absence. What is the best way to keep a starter for a month without feeding it? Will freezing work?

asked by petitbleu about 2 years ago
Dsc_0028

Just refresh it right before you leave and refrigerate it. It will be fine!

If you are gone for a month, I think you might need to freeze it. Perhaps freeze half and keep the other half in the refrigerator to hedge your bets. I would also check a book on baking artisianal breads to see what is recommended.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

It should be fine, but I'd freeze some as Maedl said just to be safe. I've read somewhere that you can freeze for up to a couple of months and be ok.

When you return, keep them out at room temp for a few days, feeding daily, to get the guys going again.

Flower-bee

I think an important thing to consider would be how wet you leave it. Depending on what your typical proportion is, you may want to set aside a ja with slightly higher water content and one that is on the dryer side. Maybe feed it a double dose for a while before you leave so you have ample amount to try. In general yeast is not killed by even a very low temperature. It would be great if you have a minute to share how it goes once you get back :). And I'd say definately sterilize the jars for the portion you leave out of the freezer to lessen your margin of side effect error.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Thanks, boulangere! Yes, I have kept it alive for too long to just leave it for dead. I'll try the freezing method.

Have a great trip and when you get back, tell us all about the foods you ate.