🔎

Fried Chicken Batter Falling Off Chicken

Hi there - I'm making fried chicken. Brined in buttermilk, then rolled in a mix of chickpea flour and buttermilk and spices. I'm pan-frying it and then going to put it in the oven (using a cook's illustrated recipe) but the breading wont stay on. It's sticking to my pan. Any ideas?

Image
Food52
Benny added almost 2 years ago

are you making a batter with the buttermilk and chickpea flour? or is it an actual breading? The typical way to fry Chicken in the pan is to dredge the chicken in flour, dip it in egg and then roll it in the breading. Each step serves a specific purpose and keeps the breading on the chicken. There's nothing wrong with soaking the chicken in buttermilk first, but you do need to make sure that, before breading, you thoroughly wipe all the buttermilk off of the chicken and pat it dry. This will also help keep your "breading" on the chicken.

Can you clarify exactly how you incorporate the buttermilk with your chickpea flour for your "breading"?

One possible solution is that you are not using enough oil and/or that you are not allowing it too fry long enough before trying flip it. It's important to let the breading crisp up. If you try to move it too early, it will stick to your pan just like you said it is.

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

It's important to let the chicken rest before frying to allow the coating to set up.

nutcakes added almost 2 years ago

I make fried chicken using a buttermilk soak, then (no blottong) shaking in seasoned flour and cornmeal. The trick to keeping the coating on seems to be chilling the chicken on racks for 30 or 40 minutes before frying.

Louisa added almost 2 years ago

Also use a thermometer to make sure your oil/shortening is hot enough.

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added almost 2 years ago

I agree with letting the chicken rest after you bread it. Helps breading stick to chicken. Use a heavy skillet, such as a cast iron, make sure you have at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch of oil and it is registering at 355-360 degrees.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added almost 2 years ago

Chill the chicken pieces after its breaded in the fridge to set. Double coated may help as well.