🔎

A question about a recipe: Chicken , Sausage and Red Pepper Paella

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Chicken , Sausage and Red Pepper Paella " from thirschfeld. It says:

"Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a 16 inch paella pan or a 12 inch saute pan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and once it is hot add the chicken, skin side down, and then the sausages. Brown them thoroughly and then remove them to a plate. You don not want them to cook all the way through. They will finish cooking in the oven you just want to brown them." Do I want to brown just the skin side of the chicken? Or all sides?

Chicken_sausauge_and_rd_pepper_paella
susanm added almost 2 years ago

nope, both sides.
there is no danger of them cooking through before their time and, frankly, color = flavor!

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

You're always going to get the best sear on the first side you place in the pan, which is why they advise skin-side down first. (Skin side is usually the presentation side)

Make sure the pan is hot and don't overcrowd, then once nice and brown flip over and brown the rest.

Agree with Sarah Reinersten here. You should brown both sides---but only once. I hate "flippers".