🔔
🔎

What can I make with fresh-picked blackberries?

Please no pies... Make sure it is a dessert, though.

asked by babycakes16 over 2 years ago

Blackberry cobbler. Which maybe too 'pie like' for you. But the crust is much easier.

Okay..bananas...sliced on the bias. Coat those with sugar on top put on foil on a sheet pan and use a blow torch to caramelize the sugar until it forms a crust. Like a cream burlee. Serve three of those with a scoop of ice cream topped with the black berries and dollop of creme fraiche or plan yogurt.

We used to make a very simple cobbler with fresh blackberries -- or rather, the aunts and my grandmother would make it when we, as kids, came home with buckets of blackberries. They grew next to the playground!

I don't actually have my grandma's recipe, but the basic technique is to mix your fresh berries, whole, with a small amount of sugar in a greased casserole dish. You then drop messy lumps of biscuit dough right on top, and bake until the dough is browned and the berries are soupy. Eat with vanilla ice cream.

Memories!

I bet your aunts used "Bisquick" for the biscuit dough.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I love financiers - there are a couple of recipes on this site using raspberries that could easily be swapped for blackberries:

http://www.food52.com/recipe...

You can top them with macerated blackberries (mix fresh berries gently with sugar and a bit of citrus juice) or just eat plain.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Scarf em down fresh!

P1291120

If you have lots, freeze and then dole them out as you need them. Or turn them into jams or jellies for later (beautiful in the pantry). A quick blackberry sauce over ice cream is another idea. When we were kids, we'd mix fresh blackberries with sugar, some milk and freeze as popsicles (inside dixie cups, with popsicle sticks). Here in the musty NW, we won't have blackberries for another six weeks, so I envy you!

Open-uri.13930

Just in case you need a few hints: Use the freshest eggs possible. The whites stay together better. To make my egg whites effectively cling to the center I tip my eggs into a pot that I have seconds before; twirled the water with a large spoon. To ineffect make a vortex. This pulls the egg towards itself and clumps it. Nice thing about poached eggs, is you can make several and then reheat in a pan of warm water. Make sure your pan has at 3" of water. You don't want the egg to cling to the bottom of the pan.

Open-uri.13930

Sorry wrong section!

Open-uri.13930

Sorry wrong section!

If you have any left after dessert, you could make a nice blackberry vinegar a la Jennifer Reese in 'Make the Bread, Buy the Butter'. Bet you could make a nice blackberry-balsamic reduction too.

I love the sabayon idea. I've also had pannacotta with blackberries that have been warmed until they have just begun to burst... Yum.

Baci1

I'd make a pavlova topped with whipped cream and the berries.