Take meat out of it's plastic wrap immediately upon bringing it home?

Steak, specifically. If I do that, what should I put it in instead? Just heard this, and my neighbor says it's well known, but it's new to me.

asked by bugbitten about 2 years ago

New to me to. If I am going to use it within a reasonable time I just put it in the meat keeper section. Any longer and I wrap it freezer paper put in a freezer ziplock and put it in the freezer.

110

Like you guys, I try to buy perishables at the last moment, trusting my market to know food storage better than me, and trusting my nose at the moment of decision. It's a tough choice, often. Shrimp especially, but that's another story.

The advice I heard was from a guest chef on Ming Tsai's PBS show, regarding boneless strip steaks (calling them NY strips adds fiddalahs (five dollars) to their price in restaurants outside of NY) but the nice fellow never said anything other than "Let the air get at them," or words to that effect.

Sometimes I wish I'd worked myself through school as a butcher, instead of a cab driver.

Holy cow, where do I buy butcher paper?!