Looking for fat free salad dressing

asked by michelle17 about 2 years ago

There was an interesting article in the Atlantic. That full fat dressing might be better for you than fat free on salads as the fat unlocks some nutrition from the veggies in salads.
http://www.theatlantic...

Also fat free dressing tastes awful. How about using olive oil and making your own?

The_cook

You are right on once again! Carotenoids like beta carotene are fat soluable and are better absored in the presence of fat. My personal choice is a good California extra virgin olive oil.

Dsc_0002_2

agreed. you need fat to digest vegetable matter fully.

Waffle3

Great article, Sam, thanks.

How far down the wrong path we've gone when "our impulse is generally to assume that low-fat or fat-free salad dressings are better for us". Not only are many flavors and nutrients fat-soluble, the body recognizes fat, especially saturated fat, as a primary key to feeling satiated.

Remember in the 70's and 80's everyone was on the 'fat is bad' mantra. So people switched to hydrogenated 'whipped' margarine butter spreads and butter flavoring squeeze bottles. Yeah, about that.
I wonder what evils are lurking in the fat free products on the shelves today?

Waffle3

I'm afraid so much damage has been done we'll never get past it, not in my lifetime at any rate.

About the ingredients in fat-free dressing, I looked up two otherwise identical versions from Kraft. It seems they replaced the oil with modified starch and a little yellow coloring. Nowhere near as bad as I would have guessed. Most people though will glop on a lot more, either because it's relatively tasteless or because they feel less guilty, and they'll eat more salad to feel full because the fat is missing. And they'll get hungry sooner.

Dsc_0028

I once found a very old container of margarine stuck in the back of a fridge. The contents had turned to something resembling plastic. I couldn't even pry it out of the container. Butter would go rancid, but it would never do that!

Waffle3

I guess we didn't do too much to answer the question directly. Salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar can be tasty.

Dsc_0002_2

Ha yes! Carrot Miso dressing could probably be made without oil if you added plenty of toasted sesame seed – though, I suppose then it would technically contain some fat.

I've never made it with fat free yogurt, but I am sure you could – yogurt with lime (juice & rind), agave syrup, and kosher salt is pretty excellent. Bloody brilliant on fried green plantains, though that sure isn't fat free either.