🔎

• 8

• 1926

I'm doing whole baked potatoes on a gas grill today. Any suggestions or tips. Pierce the skin or not?

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added almost 2 years ago

When you are giving your potatoes a good scrub, after rinsing, sprinkle a liberal amount of kosher salt all over the outside. That will pull the inherent water out of the potatoes and leave you with a fluffy baked potato.

Pamela731 added almost 2 years ago

Should I poke it

Open-uri.13930
chefsusie added almost 2 years ago

Yes, poke it a few times. I googled and found a few photos of exploded potatoes. (I think the risk is small.) However, pierce a few times, all around. Enjoy your meal!

Food52
Benny added almost 2 years ago

I've always halved my potatoes, brushed with oil, season with salt and pepper and wrapped in foil. Cook in the grill, cut side down, for a good 15-30 minutes to develop a crispy brown crust, then flip and finish cooking on the skin side.

Gator_cake

I second the motion for foil wrapping. It'll take about an hour to cook a whole potato.

kimhw added almost 2 years ago

I like to cut a few deep slices, a pat of butter, some onions and some herbs. Wrap tight in foil. Works with every meal, just switch up the herbs to match the meat you are cooking. Kids love sweet potato done the same way but with butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar. My kids gobble that with grilled chicken! Easy health kid meal without cooking in my house on a hot day.

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

Because potatoes are grown in the ground, they can contain botulism spores. Wrapping in foil creates a low-oxygen environment which, when coupled with moisture and temperatures in the danger zone (40-140F) create a perfect environment for the bacteria to grow. Potatoes baked in foil and not immediately consumed should be removed from the foil and stored in the refrigerator.

Food52
Benny added almost 2 years ago

immediatly consuming all of my grilled potatoes has never been a problem for anyone :) But a good point to make indeed.