What to serve ? after noontime 4th celebration?

What to serve 3 families with grandkids for supper, after returning from a hamburger, hot dog, 4th of July celebration? Grandboys 3,3,and 4, are not big vegetable eaters.

asked by sawbones about 2 years ago

Add your answer here

What about ravioli or tortellini and a salad. That'll be lighter fare after they've had hamburgers/hot dogs, and with the marinara sauce you can get a veggie in. I'm sure the adults will appreciate the salad.

Smokin_tokyo

Adults are easy, Grandboys like blueberry muffins?

http://food52.com/recipes...

There's enough mint in there to count as a vegetable, but still stays with the 4th of July theme.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

How about a large salad with marinated/grilled chicken strips, hard cooked eggs, bacon, blue cheese, etc. add-ins for people to include as they like. My sons at that age loved homemade dips (typically involving cheese, buttermilk, etc., sort of like "ranch" dressing), into which they dipped to their hearts content carrot sticks, celery slices, celery (which many kids like with peanut butter), etc. I'd also serve a sweet corn (raw), tomato, cucumber salad with a simple vinaigrette and parsley. I'd follow with fresh fruit tart or pie, with some vanilla ice cream, which could also be used as the base for "red, white and blueberry" sundaes -- top with fresh blueberries and strawberries (the latter cut up earlier in the day; add a tablespoon of sugar to bring out the juices). ;o)

Jc_profilepic

This is what I would do and it is nearly all make ahead: grilled teriyaki chicken, cool sesame noodles (made with linguine), and a green salad of some sort. Corn on the cob if you want to do more. Cold watermelon and popsicles for dessert. If you really want to accommodate picky eaters set aside some plain linguine to heat in the microwave with butter.
Its not a very "Fourth of July" theme but it is very easy and yummy.

Grilled Shrimp. Deviled Eggs, the above mentioned salads. Watermelon, fresh fruits.
A light sorbet is also good.