🔔
🔎

Making jelly -- what to do with left-over fruit pulp?

It is that time of year again and all the berries are coming in. I make lots of jelly, which requires me to strain as much juice from the berries as possible, leaving behind a mass of berry pulp. I usually compost the pulp, but keep thinking there must be something tasty I could do with it. Any ideas?

asked by SeaJambon over 2 years ago

I had the same problem with the foam left from skimming it off of jam while cooking, until I read a suggestion from David Tanis to save it and put it on toast. It was delicious! Since then, I've been using the foam on French toast, English muffins, ice cream, mixed into oatmeal, on yogurt, or pretty much anyplace else I feel inclined to add something fruity and sweet. I'm guessing you could do that with the pulp as well, or if all else fails, add it to smoothies!

Hilary_sp1

Does the pulp include seeds? And is this pulp before or after sugar? I assume since this is jelly it is before sugar?
I like RachelS's suggestion to use it as a topper for yogurt etc. But I do wonder if it is berry and if there are tons of seeds that would make this unappealing? I use leftover skins and pulp to make a vinegar syrup for shrubs and vinegar soda. You could mix in some apple cider vinegar and more sugar to make it into a syrup for shrubs. You'd have to discard the skins and seeds, but it would give the pulp a second life.
I always save the peach skins for this purpose; they add a lot of color to the vinegar-syrup and make it super delicious. You probably could make a flavored simple syrup this way too. Try adding herbs or lavender. Hibiscus flowers could be great with raspberry pulp.

P1291120

Hilarybee -- yes, the pulp includes seeds (right now, my jelly bag is hung to drip with raspberries), and yes this is pure pulp with nothing added (no sugar or anything else). I'm confused about vinegar syrup for "shrubs" -- is the shrub a typo or are you making a compost tea type thing? (when I think shrubs, I think the garden, but maybe you have a different meaning?). RachelS -- I agree that the skimming foam is delicious and has a multitude of uses; I also use it in many of the applications you've suggested.

Maybe once all the juice is extracted from the fruit (especially with berries which will be little more than seeds), the pulp really is best for enriching the compost ...

You know what, I have a bunch of assorted citrus (lemon, lime and orange) sitting on my counter. I think I'll make a citrus-aid, swirl in some raspberry pulp, let sit for awhile and then strain. Sure won't hurt anything, and might even be a pleasant surprise! I'll report back... :)

That sounds ingenious! How was it? Was there enough flavor left in the pulp?

Food52

I would mix it into an ice cream or sorbet. Or what about mixing into muffin batters?

Scan0004

Shrubs are an old fashioned drink made with fruit, vinegar and sugar. I've used the recipe from hardlikearmour -- http://www.food52.com/recipe... (You could use a different vinegar if you can't find the one specified.)

P1291120

Ahhhh - Now that I understand about shrubs (not garden variety!), this makes total sense.

FWIW: I just made my own beverage that I'm pretty pleased with. Zested 5 small lemons, then juiced the same (about 1/3 cup juice). Prepared a simple syrup (1-1/2 cups both sugar and water) with the zest included. Added about a cup of raspberry pulp and let steep. Once cooled to room temp, put in the lemon juice. Strained the whole thing to remove seeds. Filled a very tall glass with ice. Filled to about two inches with the raspberry/lemon syrup, and filled remained with cooled fizzy water. Very nice! Lots of deep raspberry pink and more raspberry flavor than lemon. I'm pleased. I'll use the pulp from my next batch for a shrub. Thanks everyone!

Make margaritas if you have seeds strain make a simple syrup mix with tequila triple sec lime juice