🔔
🔎

What do I need to make a decent Ras-El-Hanout from scratch?

I'm too lazy to pull down my spicy food cookbook and look it up! It's for roasted veggies.

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

L1020855

Depending on your experience with REH , you have a wide range of spices to choose and blend to make this mix. Most I have tasted have cinnamon,clove,pepper,cumin,allspice,ginger,coriander,celery seed,fennel,and many other unknown spices added whimsically to the mix. it is a firey blend that is rarely the same twice...good luck !!!

Scan0004

Here's one from Kitty Morse in The Scent of Orange Blossoms, a lovely book.
2 tsp gr allspice, 1 tsp gr nutmeg, 2 tsp gr mace, 1 tsp gr ginger, 1/4 tsp gr black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp gr cinnamon. You can use toasted whole spices and grind them.
This should be wonderful on roasted veg. I'm thinking sweet potato....

There are many recipes for ras el hanout on the web, but you could also find a recipe in a good Moroccan cookbook. Paula Wolfert is a reliable source. Ras el hanout recipes vary--every spice shop has its own blend and secret ingredients, so it is a recipe you can play around with and make to suit your tastes.