🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Summer Weekend Pasta

Food52_07-10-12-2-83

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Summer Weekend Pasta" from amanda. It says:

"Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, spread the bacon in a large saute pan, add the garlic clove, and set over medium heat. Cook the bacon until it's crisp and its fat has rendered. As you remove the bacon from the heat, stir in the red pepper flakes." Is there a non meat option to substitute here?

asked by macha over 2 years ago

Amanda's recipe is a riff on the classic Roman l'amatriciana; bacon or guanciale or pancetta. If you want to omit the bacon you can just go fra diavolo; butter or olive oil (or both) with tomato and hot pepper. BUT you really can't substitute anything for the bacon flavor. And if anyone suggests portabello mushrooms I promise to come down and toilet paper their house.

Food52

I suggest portabello mushrooms.

Benny, I have the 12 pack of Cottonelle. Coming your way.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Yes, I like Pierino's suggestion. Some tomatoes, but not too much.

280194_3901959540227_611816486_o

You could add in a little smoked mozzarella at the end to get that smoky flavor in the dish.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Mushrooms and fried sun dried tomatoes...

Photo

I suppose you could try one of the "fake-bacon" "fakon" products, but honestly you might just consider making a different type of dish. It seems to me that both the bacon itself and the resulting bacon fat are too integral and, like a Porsche, there is no substitute! :)

I was thinking a little ricotta salata, crumbled or cubed, at the very end to add the saltiness from the bacon.