A question about a recipe: Nekisia Davis' Olive Oil and Maple Granola

Food52_01-17-12-9832

I have a question about the recipe "Nekisia Davis' Olive Oil and Maple Granola" from Genius Recipes. What can I substitute for the pecans if I have a nut allergy?

asked by Menlo Baker about 2 years ago
Image

Can you eat seeds? You could substitute pumpkin or sunflower seeds. ChezSuzanne is also allergic to nuts; here's her granola recipe:
http://food52.com/recipes...

Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

For crunch, I'd go with more seeds or coconut flakes, but this recipe is very flexible to other flavors you might want to play with. Nekisia's company Early Bird also makes a granola with dried cherries and one with chopped dark chocolate (!). Any dried fruits I usually stir in when it comes out of the oven; chocolate goes in only when it's completely cooled. Love ChezSuzanne's recipe too.

Dsc_0048b

there are already pumpkin and sunflower seeds in the recipe so you could just increase the amounts, or, something that I have been planning to try and have not yet, is to use some puffed rice or millet cereal.

Scan0004

Most of the time, recipes with nuts don't depend on the nut specifically for their success. Suggestions above are good. I think for you, you can use the adage, when in doubt leave it out. I like to make a very plain granola and add things like fruits, nuts, seeds (or chocolate -- how amazing is that!) depending on what's at hand, what else is on the plate, the whim of the moment. Good time to think out of the box.

Bigpan

You can use almond ! An almond is the seed of the almond tree and not a nut. You can "candy" like you would a pecan or walnut, or chop up and use on salad, parfaits or whatever.
I also agree that pumpkin seed (and other seeds) are good too.

Scan0004

My son-in-law is specifically allergic to almonds, as is his daughter, my grandaughter. Allergies and sensitivities can cross lines, Nut allergies are not something to experiment with, without knowledgable professional input.

Scan0004

You raised my curiousity, so I read here -- http://en.wikipedia.org...
In the botanical meaning of 'nut' bigpan is correct, but ironically, most of what we call nuts for eating and cooking are also not 'true nuts.' Almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, pistachios... and there are more commonly used untrue nuts on the list. An important distinction for the botanist, but allergy concerns pertain to a list based on the commonly understood meaning of 'nut.'