Lodge vs Staub and LeCrueset enamel durability

My old Lodge Dutch oven has been with me for many years,and the white enamel interior is beginning to show some age. I was wondering if the more expensive manufacturers enamel ware is more stain resistant over time ? I use this dutch oven to bake bread , and wonder if the high oven temps are also some cause of discoloration? The finish is still intact, just crazed with many scratch like marks. Do the other brands so this too, over time and with much wear and tear ?

asked by CHeeb about 2 years ago

I have a 30+ year old le crueset that is terribly stained and looks like hell. I still use it and it continues to perform. I wouldn't take it to a sci friends house though. I'd be embarassed

Sick friend.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I vote for Le Crueset (functionality & appearance), although Lodge (if taken care of religiously) is a less expensie option.

P1291120

I'm with kcbkitchen -- my le crueset is old, well loved, well used and rather stained. But, I consider it like a good patina and a sign of love (that's kind of my attitude towards many signs of wear -- just shows the item has been well loved -- which is a separate issue from when something starts to degrade and is no longer functional).

FWIW: I also have a much newer "copy-cat" le crueset type dutch oven purchased in a major department store and bearing the name of a well known home diva (no, not Rachel Ray -- I won't go into the shortcomings of the equipment bearing her name!) that appeared to be a good stand-in. Still pricey, but not nearly as pricey as the le crueset. Two years later and a reasonable amount of use, it is equally stained and starting to rust along the rim. Sigh. The real thing may be stained, but is much, much older and there is no rust! Once again: you get what you pay for!

It's amazing what crap some of these Food Network stars will attach their names to! Emerilware, RR's cheap knives etc. etc.

The Mario Batali stuff was really good. So good that Sur La Table went to the manufacturer and started producing their own while phasing out the Mario line.

Chris_in_oslo

My old Le Creuset also rusts around the rim--I have to be sure to be the one to wash it, dry it right away, and give the rim a little oil. My Staub is not so old, and it sure is pretty. But I'm with pierino on this one--my real passion is for the Emile Henry Flame.

L1020855

Thank you all for your input. Luckily my Lodge pot has not chipped or rusted , so I will keep using it and it's well earned patina. i did not know Emile Henry Flame series of clayware was top of stove "burner " safe until Pierino mentioned it in this thread . I love my Emile ovenware, and am amazed at its hardiness over the years. I think I'll keep the Lodge and see how long it performs .

Kbckitchen, my Lodge pot and I are right there with you...you made me laugh out loud with your response...ch

I bought some dutch ovens made by Tramontina and sold by Walmart. I know it sounds lame but they are quite affordable and have worked great for me.

Photo-1

I have a Staub (http://amzn.to/SUowOH) and a Le Creuset (http://amzn.to/P0Iq5D) and I love both. The nice thing about the Staub is that the inside is black, so it doesn't stain at all. I personally think it feels a little more substantial, but both are great.

I know Le Creuset seems to be the crowd favorite, but personally I always thought it was overpriced for the product you get. Sure, it's long-lasting, but there are durable products on the market that are both cheaper and better looking in their old age. I have two Le Creuset pots but to be honest my friends' Staub's and the occasional Lodge seem to be holding up better. BUT, I am of an unpopular opinion and I recognize many concede that Le Creuset is "top notch" for enamel. Even if it's not pretty.

The way to buy Le Creuset is to wait for outlets like Sur La Table to put last season's colors on sale. It happens every six months at least. If you don't mind having a mismatched collection (I don't) you will find better value.

I got my large oval le creuset dutch oven at williams-sonoma for just under $100, it's a sort of odd pea-green that I can live with and my boyfriend adores.
Fairly certain that it was either last season's color or a gift return.

If you are using it to bake bread, I second the recommendation of another poster here for the Emile Henry, specifically the 4.2 quart cocotte. I use it to make the Jim Leahy and Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day hearth bread and the results are simply perfect. Plus the Emile Henry is half the weight of cast iron so lifting it in and out of the oven is a snap.

Very good point Sandy H, regarding weight.

Cook-better-thanfb_profile

I hate to tell you this but I have French made green cast Iron and enamel pots I bought at Ikea about 5 years ago and so far they have none of the problems you have described, and for as little as I paid if they ever do I will just get new ones. I think they came from the factory next door to le creuset, LOL!

L1020855

I wish I had an Ikea closer than the Atlanta store ( 180 miles away) . The enameled cast iron "senior " pots don't seem to be an online product , much to my regret...thanks for the idea , though. Next time I am in an IKEA area , I hope to be in the car to be able to bring one home and try it out...sound very affordable...ch

The only Lodge i use is basic seasoned cast iron. Their enameled in made in China. For enameled I have used both Le Creuset and Staub. My preference for appearance, functionality, and quality is Staub