🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Gold Medal "Better for Bread" flour - OK to use for starting sourdough/ levain?

I'd like to use up all the flour in my pantry before I buy more. Will this work?

asked by Sadassa_Ulna about 2 years ago

Yes, but it will be best if you use an unbleached flour.

Jc_profilepic

Thanks boulangere, the "Better for Bread" type by Gold Medal is unbleached but it has a higher gluten content than AP unbleached I believe. I know higher gluten is good for bread dough but I haven't found anything written on the subject of using it for actual starter.
I have read that organic flour is better for starters and also using part rye flour; I have neither of those at the moment. But I am OK with this being experimental. It will either work or I will procure better ingredients for next time....

Oh, even better! I've not looked at that one for a while, so good to know about the protein content; thanks! Rye is suggested because it ferments so fantastically (think rye whiskey). I like to use it when I've, ahem, let my barm go unfed for 5-6 days, and never use more than a tablespoon in the refreshment. If you use any more, you risk throwing the fermentation into overdrive. In a wild-yeast sourdough, there are some serious acids at work (lactic, acetic), so the stronger the protein the better. You'll be fine with what you have!

Jc_profilepic

Thanks boulangere. It was going well until I overfed yesterday. I am trying to rescue but might start over if unsuccessful. Years ago I followed Nick Malgieri's method for sourdough (but I think it involved a tiny measure of commercial yeast). This time I was following Daniel Leader's stiff levain method with no commercial yeast.
Do you recommend a favorite person's method for beginners to follow?