THE FOOD52 COMMUNITY IS NOW 1 MILLION STRONG! READ MORE »

Does anyone have a recipe for a layer cake that can be made ahead and frozen after filling?

My 5 year old son has requested a tiered layer cake for his birthday party. His party is during a really busy time for me so I want to make as much of the cake ahead and freeze it. Does anyone have a good recipe for a non chocolate cake that can be made and filled ahead and then frozen? I can do the frosting the day before the party, so the look isn't a problem but I would love not to have to level and fill all of the layers that day as well. Anyone have suggestions?

asked by Couldn't Be Parve almost 4 years ago
84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

Unfortunately, cake filling doesn't freeze well -- it will expand and contract and possibly damage the layers themselves. You can freeze cake layers easily, though, and then stack/fill/frost them after they've thawed.

Hi!
The Cake Mix Doctor includes freezing instructions and advice in some of her recipes. Many public libraries have her books, and she has put a few recipes on her site:
http://www.cakemixdoctor....