🔎

I have a spaghetti sauce, bottled, made of butternut squash. I thawed some burger, just under a lb. I want to make meatballs for the sauce.

Food52
Benny added over 1 year ago

I'm not sure I'm finding a specific question here. can you elaborate?

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added over 1 year ago

If you use the search bar above for "meatballs" you will get several great recipes. Most recipes will call for a mix of ground beef, pork or veal. You can use what you have, but be careful to not "overpack" your meatballs.

Also, with a butternut sauce, sage will be a nice herbal accompiant .

piano13 added over 1 year ago

OK, sorry. I have a butternut squash sauce that I'm serving over pasta. I'd like to make meatballs for it with the ground beef I have. Any suggestions for spices/flavoring the meatballs?

piano13 added over 1 year ago

Lo ...& B...,

Thx for the answers and help!!

Food52
Benny added over 1 year ago

I agree sith lorigoldsby. Sage will compliment your butternut squash pasta sauce very nicely! I recommend adding it to the sauce itself. As for the meatballs, I would keep the spices/flavoring pretty nuetral. When I'm making meatballs for pasta, I use salt, pepper, thyme and garlic. the real trick is to not overly mix the meat, and don't over pack it when forming the meat balls (also as suggested by lorigoldsby). Doing so will result in a really dense meatball. Keep your hands light

some people like to straight up bake their meat balls, but I prefer to roll them in bread crumbs and brown them in a pan first. then I'll finish them in the oven if they need to. larger meat balls will need that oven time, while smaller ones might be fine without it. This will give them a nice crust to bite into and a really nice flavor.

Kristen W. added over 1 year ago

Best meatball recipeI I've ever tasted: http://www.seriouseats...

This is not a specific pairing with your butternut squash sauce, but they are amazing, moist, tasty meatballs. And, if memory serves, the recipe only calls for ground beef. One caveat: the recipe actually calls for raisins, which might wind up being a bit overly sweet in combo with your sauce, since butternut squash is also sweet, so depending on your palate you might want to omit or reduce them. As suggested above, instead of just parsley, a combo of sage and parsley or just sage might be a nice substitution.