🔎

bone-in versus boneless roast?

Jamie Oliver's fabulous slow-cooked lamb shoulder (recipe on foodtv.com) can be made with a bone in shoulder roast--or a boneless one, apparently. Got me wondering: what are the pros and cons of cooking with the bone in? Any difference as to cooking time or temperature. ?

3-bizcard

I have found and IMHO cooking a roast with the bone in yields a more flavorful roast, cooking time is longer usually and I love the flavor when you roast a piece of meat bone in. I generally use the same temperature just roast longer. It really depends on the size of the roast and the type it is and more often than not directions give options for both bone in or boneless.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

The major pros are flavor and economy, any tradeoff comes at carving time. No change to roasting temperature is required although cooking times may be lengthened somewhat as bones can act as insulators. That should be of little consequence as you're cooking to temperature (you are using a digital thermometer, yes?)

Also, you'll produce a nice roasted bone in the process -- perfect for making stock afterward.

Jill Chamberlin added over 1 year ago

Thanks very much, this is helpful. i find that recipes in books give details like bone-in, but online with sites like foodtv.com the details are often sketchy. in this case, there was a photo and could see bones on the prepared product so I went for it and it worked out splendidly.