🔎

Vegan substitute for ghee or butter?

My husband recently announced he's becoming a vegan, throwing me into a bit of a panic about some of my favorite recipes. Any suggestions for a vegan substitute for ghee or clarified butter? I love Indian cooking and feel that the flavor given by ghee is going to be hard to replace....

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Oil, maybe? Ok, the nutty-ness of the ghee won't be there, but the oil should function the same way. Maybe a good olive.

Salt Tooth added over 1 year ago

Thanks HalfPint!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Before using ghee on a regular basis, I always used plain canola oil whenever cooking Indian food. I agree with HalfPint that it won't provide quite the same flavor. If you're preparing vegan food, however, you'll probably be buying a lot of nuts, so consider using them (especially cashews that you buy raw and then brown over gentle heat in oil, and almonds that you dry roast and then grind up) to enhance your sauces. ;o)

Salt Tooth added over 1 year ago

Thanks Antonia!