🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Daddy's Carbonara

072009f_0714

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Daddy's Carbonara" from Eric Liftin. It says:

"Start cooking the pasta (I have long subscribed to the less-water method Harold McGee addresses here). " What is the Harold McGee less-water method for making pasta?

asked by Grandma Lu about 2 years ago

I"m not sure about that specific method. But for Japaneese Soba noodles. You use less water. Bring it to a boil put in the noodles wait for boil again, and then dump in another cup of water..and wait for boil...and do that three times. Adding a cup of water each time and waiting for return to boil.

For normal pasta..I rarely use the recommended quarts of water in a big pot. But a 2qt 'pasta pot' Aprox. which has a clamp on lid, with drain holes, and pure stainless steel.
For that (for two people) it's fine and I fill about 4 inches below the top of the pot with water. It works well for me. I too think the recommended 'lots and lots of water' for pasta is overrated You just need to stir more at the start to keep the stuff separated until it softens and starts rolling about in the pot.

See http://www.nytimes.com...