🔎

• 6

• 1436

Can someone suggest a plum to substitute for wild plums for making plum jam?

I no longer have access to wild plums but would like to at least get a suggestion of their unique flavor when I make plum jam. So far I haven't been successful although the jam is good. Can anyone suggest a plum similar to a wild plum?

Sadie_crop
Diana B added over 1 year ago

If you can find sour greengage plums, I would think they'd work well. Very hard to come by where I am, at least, but worth a try.

Image
jamcook added over 1 year ago

One year I made plum jam with lots of different varieties...whatever I could find..little Mirabelles, sugar plums, some Santa Rosas and another variety that remains nameless. it was a wonderful hybrid taste and an extraordinary color. sometimes Serendipity is the mother of invention. good luck

Maedl added over 1 year ago

Damson plums should work. I made a spiced jam with damsons several years ago that was especially good. Damsons have loads off pectin, so it is an easy jam to make.

ATL added over 1 year ago

Thanks everyone. Very helpful suggestions! I'm going to experiment and it should be interesting.

Tina Z added over 1 year ago

You may want to consider trying pluots as a substitute. I made a pluot jam and added fresh thyme. It was delicious served on a baguette with some Brie.

Img_0836-001_(1)

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

not sure shiro or formosa plums are still available in your area (they're gone here in DC) but they are fabulous and great for making jam!