🔎

Warm weather food to pair with a big red wine

I'm hosting a lunch for friends and plan to serve an insanely delicious full-flavored cabernet sauvignon. It will be quite warm out and I'm having trouble coming up with something suited to both the wine and the weather. Any suggestions? It's a 2008 Baldacci Vineyards Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa.

Welovephotobooths_1_1042624
Junechamp

sounds to me like you're answering your question before you start. That's a dynamite cab, but in hot weather, it won't be nearly as wonderful as it should be.

Why not choose a menu suitable to the hot weather and serve a wine that complements it? And save the Baldacci for the fall, when everyone's in the mood for a big red wine?

Welovephotobooths_1_1042624
MeghanVK added over 1 year ago

Definitely considered that, but I'm pretty sure there will be some pregnancy-related impediments to wine-drinking in the next few months from at least one of the guests :) I don't want to wait a year to enjoy it.

inpatskitchen added over 1 year ago

I am absolutely no wine expert but I know cabernet sauvignon is excellent with beef. What about a lovely steak salad with greens and cheese. And prep can be done ahead of time!

Nasturtiums
clementinebakes added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Since the weather (and people's moods) are tending towards fall in much of the country, I would recommend something showcasing late summer/early fall fruits. Just last week I made a pork tenderloin that I seared on the stove and finished in the oven. When I pulled the pork out of the pan to let it rest, I put quartered, pitted plums in the pan I used to cook the pork. I brushed them with a mixture of honey, garlic, oil, and thyme, then popped them under the broiler for a few minutes. It was tasty with a big red wine (in my case, a merlot) and some couscous and totally felt season-appropriate. Cheers!

Welovephotobooths_1_1042624
MeghanVK added over 1 year ago

Thanks y'all! Meat with fruity sauce it is.

Kristen W. added over 1 year ago

Wow, Clementinebakes, that sounds delicious! I think I'm going to steal your recipe. :)