🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Air bubbles in my jam

I made a plum conserve yesterday and processed the jars in a hot water bath. Last night before bed I noticed there a quite a few bubbles in every jar. However, the jars did seal properly. How should I proceed? Should I store the jars in the fridge and use them up quickly because I'm sure now they are more prone to spoil. Thanks for your help!

asked by la domestique about 2 years ago
P1291120

In my Master Food Preserving class we were taught that bubbles, per se, are not a problem (perhaps unsightly, but not a safety concern). It is only bubbles that move that are a problem. So, watch the bubbles over time. If they move, that indicates some sort of fermentation or other bad thing happening; if not, it just means that next time you'll want to use a knife (plastic -- not metal, to avoid the somewhat unlikely but still there, possibility of thermal shock cracking the glass) and scrape around to remove bubbles before putting the top on and processing. And the truly good news, since it is a fruit conserve you made, your only real risk is spoilage, not poisoning.

Jess-otoole

Thank you SeaJambon! I really appreciate your help.

You may have "whipped" the jam by too vigorous a storing and incorporated a lot of air. Shouldn't be a problem if the jars were processed correctly and the jars sealed when cooled.

Jess-otoole

Thanks mbergner. I think that might be what I did. Just when I was filling the jars the phone started ringing, dog barking, husband came home from work- lost my concentration. :)