🔎

• 7

• 1067

does clarified butter freeze for later use?

Epiventures
Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

yes, and it can be stored, covered in glass or earthenware, at room temperature for 6 months. just make sure that no water/moisture gets into it.

Merrill

I have some in my freezer right now!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

how do you freeze, i.e container, ziploc bag & how would you defrost for another recipe?

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added over 1 year ago

Ghee stays put quite happily at room temperature (at least 2 weeks).. refrigeration is sufficient for longer storage

Maedl added over 1 year ago

The solids that cause butter to turn rancid are removed when the butter is clarified, so you shouldn't have to freeze it--as long as you are sure the milk solids were carefully skimmed off. Store it in an air tight container, though, so it doesn't pick up odors or flavors from other foods in the refrigerator. Ghee, clarified butter used in India, is one of those well-adapted foods--butter would go bad quickly in a tropical climate, but ghee keeps very well.

Lost_in_NYC added over 1 year ago

@Epiventures you can even keep it in the fridge in a stainless steel/glass container for later use as well. My mom makes usually makes a big batch in one go and then just keeps it in the fridge to use on an as-needed basis. It lasts a really long time.

Food52
Benny added over 1 year ago

I saw an article on this website,not long ago, about packing herbs in an ice tray and covering with oil, then freezing for use during the winter. I adapted that to useing clarified butter for some of my herbs.

perfect little portions of herbs and fat for cooking!