Your thoughts on Coffee Cured Pulled Pork recipe from Food and Wine

I will be hosting a dinner for 10 three weeks from now, and would like to make a roast pork or pulled pork recipe. So, I am doing the research, and found this recipe from Food and Wine, http://www.foodandwine... and it looks like something worth trying. However, I feel that that it would be much yummier if the temperature were lower and cooking time longer. Or maybe I am missing something? Would appreciate your thoughts on the recipe. Thanks! Sashy

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I don't usually hand out recipe advice but… I agree, a 225F oven would be better, as would a 190F finished temp on the roast. 200 is about the tipping point, where moisture gets squeezed from muscle fibers. Covering with foil is an important step, to get the temperature above the stall. You would, of course, have to increase the cooking time considerably.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I've made a lot of recipes from Food and Wine, and while they generally work very well, I've found that they use shortcuts on certain types of dishes -- like those requiring "low and slow" preparations -- such as nudging up cooking temperatures and shortening cooking times, presumably to make the recipes more convenient for the presumed "sophisticated-yet-busy home cook" who is their target demographic. The dish might work OK the way they say to do it, but your way will be better.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Thank you both! I am going to do it the long way...

This isn't an answer but a follow-up question. I am making this recipe and have the pork covered in the rub in the fridge. Do you really rinse the rub off completely before cooking? Just seems strange...

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

michelle, many recipe chefs rarely see the hotline or check the comments on their recipe pages. So when i have a question that i really need ansswered, i click on the chef's recipe and then from there i click on their name; and then on their member page, i send them an email by clicking on the envelope symbol. those emails go to them directly.