For the best flavor in biscuits do you use butter, shortening or both? Thanks!

asked by Nicole Swenson almost 2 years ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Biscuit purists tend to use butter or lard for the best flavor, but you can absolutely use both. (Or either!) Here's a genius recipe that uses both -- it's a great go-to recipe for moist biscuits, every time. (The butter is used for brushing so you don't lose out on flavor.)

http://www.food52.com/blog...

Waffle3

Not only does vegetable shortening have no flavor, it usually contains trans fats so it's a double sin. The solution to both problems is lard. Or the way I make biscuits, half lard, half butter.

A note about trans fat: Don't be fooled by labels claiming "Zero Trans Fat" and then in tiny letters "per serving". Check the ingredient list for the words "partially hydrogenated". That's your trans fat. Under current federal law, shortening may contain over 4% trans fat and still remain legal. The consensus of the medical community is that there is no safe level of trans fat consumption.

That goes for snack crackers and chips too...a 'serving' is 12 chips. So they can say 'no trans fats'.

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I feel that there is nothing like a lard biscuit. A friend of mine who grew up on a farm once gave me some freshly rendered lard. It made the most delicious flaky, rich, crisp biscuits. I have never had such good lard since.
OK, 2nd choice is pure butter. I use an angel biscuit recipe to get lots of fluff and lightness.
I will never use shortening ever no matter what. I come from Wisconsin (Eat Butter or Die).
Cream biscuits are also delicious. The cream is the butter and milk. Dip the made up biscuits into melted butter before baking. Have 0911 on speed dial.
Want to try bacon fat but haven't yet.