🔔
🔎

Oatmeal Cookies

I am working through an old collection of recipes from my mother and came across one for oatmeal cookies. The problem is, all the dry ingredients are listed (brown sugar, flour, oats, spices, etc) but the only wet ingredients are 2 eggs and vanilla. This results in a super dry batter. I looked online but each recipe has different wet ingredients: water, oil, milk, butter, etc. Which one would be the best and in what amount?

asked by LnO about 2 years ago
Jc_profilepic

I would think a little or no milk and a lot of butter would be best. Oil would make them soft if that is what you are looking for, and shortening would make them crunchier but the flavor wouldn't match butter.

Hi, I think it's missing one cup of butter. I remember a recipe like this from my grandmother.

Don't use steel cut oats. For cookies, the recipes from your mother are Quaker Oats..either 'quick, or old fashion oats'...probably the quick if they came out super-dry. Steel cut, and quick oats are completely different products and can't be used interchangeably in family recipes for cookies.
I'm guessing Mom used the 'quick oat' product. Which was a 'given' in a recipe from the 60's-90's for cookie recipes. Today they usually specify the type of oat. as steel cut is common. But "Quick Oat" was the goto product of those decades for cookie recipes.

Waffle3

An interesting observation, Sam. I guess I'm a bit older as I think of old fashioned oats as the standard.

LnO

Thanks for the help! I tried a cup of softened butter and then just a little water (about 2 Tb) and they turned out perfect!

Waffle3

Sounds like the classic recipe off the side of a Quaker Oats box (if that's the proper term for a round container).

http://www.quakeroats.com...

This version seems to be "updated" from my the one my mother makes, listing salt as optional. Don't leave out the salt. They're bland without it.