🔎

Can I substitute cornstarch for tapioca starch, and if so, can I substitute it 1:1?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen
Gator_cake

Yes, for the most part. It is a 1:1 substitute. Cornstarch needs more heat to set and breaks down with acid more easily. If you have instant tapioca, you can blitz it in a spice grinder instead. What are you using it for?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Thanks! I'm making a clafoutis in Canelle et Vanille's new book.

Gator_cake

I think it'll work, though may have a slightly less chewy texture. It's gluten free, right? Maybe message beyond celery - she's great with gluten free baking..

Kalani added 4 months ago

I know this question was over a year ago, but it's something I been trying to figure out for awhile now! Apparently tapioca is better than corn starch for pies that will be frozen, and I been making pies for friends/neighbors for awhile now. The demand is so high that I could almost quit my day job! lol But a big question is if they can be frozen... It's a corn starch based pie and apparently freezing cornstarch doesn't work well.. Thank Again! =)