🔎

• 13

• 8944

Cookbooks for managing gout

Wondering if anyone has experience with cookbooks for gout? (Essentially an excess of uric acid that crystallizes and causes joint inflammation. Typically affects an older age group.) My father was recently diagnosed. The library had only 1 and there are several cookbooks on Amazon, but thought I'd check here for a recommendation before purchasing. I'd like to be able to put together a week's worth of menus. The doctor's handout only had very general recommendations. Thanks!

The_cook
Gourmet Metrics added over 1 year ago

I hear your desire to manage things with diet. But for this one, medication does work well and the dietary approach is at best a piecemeal solution. And as far as books, none that I am aware of, but I have never run a google search so there well might be some good ones out there. Best of luck to you and your father. Gout is no fun!

nutcakes added over 1 year ago

Not everyone can do medication. My aunt has a shrunken kidney and the medication is contraindicated, so she does have to manage via diet.

Pegeen added over 1 year ago

Thanks, Gourmet Metrics. He is also on medication. And it is a tricky illness...

P1291120
SeaJambon added over 1 year ago

My father-in-law has periodic bouts with gout (excuse the rhyme - not intended!). When he follows a low purine diet he is fine, when he strays, he suffers. For him, it seems to be about high fat and in particular, too many peanuts. I honestly haven't delved deep into this particular issue and the extent to which diet can make a difference, but know it is extremely painful so, even if medication is available, I'd still go with the diet modification (as a supplement). Seems to me my FIL doesn't take medication because there were issues with some of the other med's he takes. So, diet is his only option.

Pegeen added over 1 year ago

SeaJambon, thank you. Exactly - researching low purine foods/diets. Like your FIL, my father is having issues with med combinations. The gout med and blood thinner do not seem to handshake too well but don't quote me - every patient is different. We're in the early phases of figuring this out. But thanks for taking the time to respond - much appreciated. We're all worried about him.

P1291120
SeaJambon added over 1 year ago

If your father is like my FIL, it is a painful, avoidable and not typically life threatening issue. My FIL is also on blood thinners, so maybe that is the med non-cooperation issue (and since the blood thinning issue is potentially life threatening, that would definitely explain why that is the med chosen if only one of the two can be taken). Alcohol and peanuts (and not a small amount of peanuts -- like a can at a sitting) were his triggers. He's cut way back on both (generally avoids both) but every now and again he decides peanuts won't hurt him and, well, the rest is nearly inevitable.

I hope you are able to determine the triggers for your father, as that will make things much easier. Moderation may also be the key (again, a whole can of peanuts at a sitting? really? I mean, who does that??!). Full disclosure: I'm not a healthcare professional of any sort (au contraire -- can't medicate the cat!), but totally understand about being worried about people who are important to you.

Maedl added over 1 year ago

This site might help with guidelines: http://www.mayoclinic.com...

lloreen added over 1 year ago

I have a relative who had bouts of gout (and he eats a very healthy, low fat diet and is not overweight or inactive!) He drinks pure cherry juice as recommended by his doctor and has not had any relapses. If he has other conditions like diabetes, this is not a good idea, but if he can handle the natural sugars in juice, it is worth a try.
I doubt there are cookbooks for gout sufferers because it is just too small a population for publishers, but the South Beach Diet cookbook might work with some modifications, like limiting the servings of meat. Basically, you want a low-fat, low-carb diet with little meat. You could also look for recipes that replace meat with other sources of protein like legumes. Try the website 101 cookbooks for some very healthy vegetarian recipes. She has a cookbook, Super Natural Cooking that might be helpful. The recipes are also delicious, so no need to feel deprived!

Pegeen added over 1 year ago

lloreen - yes. Thank you. I learned about the sour cherry juice (has to be sour cherry) from the doc.

Thank you all so much for this input. I'm on the low end of the learning curve, but in just a few days, the pain has gotten so much worse for him. We're doing all the recommended low-purine diet methods. (No peanuts, no drinks with Carol Burnett re-runs!) Just joking. He actually had a very healthy diet, which is part of the problem - we can't find any trigger foods/alcohol.
Have also learned it's a nasty disease with difficult pain levels. As I learn more about it, I'm surprised there isn't more about it in the nutrition/food world.

Thanks again everyone for your input and advice. So helpful.

Scan0004
susan g added over 1 year ago

Sour cherry is also available in capsules, if natural sugars would cause issues. And frozen cherries are sometimes available. (Message me for specifics.)

Pegeen added over 1 year ago

Thanks, susan g - good to know the sour cherry compound is available in capsule form too, in case he was away from home for a few days, etc. The medication is finally kicking in and Dad's being much less cranky than I would be, about trying various diet modifications.

Thanks again, everyone, for responding! Much appreciated.

Dsc_0337
yMarni added over 1 year ago

Lots & lots of water, low fat, low carb diet should help. One of my friend had this issue and this is how he recovered. I certainly agree that food habits help a lot. Hope ur dad feels better soon! :)

Stringio
Erica Compton added about 1 month ago

I realize this is an old question, but I wanted to help if possible. Here is a link to 4 cookbooks dedicated to helping people suffering with gout. My husband was recently diagnosed with this awful disease and it has been hard trying to feed him. I just found these books today, so I don't know about the recipes...but at this point I am willing to try anything. http://www.gout-haters... I really hope this helps.