🔔
🔎

I'm interested in some suggestions for using mung beans for something other than soup or additions to salads. Anyone have some ideas?

asked by pdxanita about 2 years ago
Merrill

Here's a recipe for savory mung bean crepes: http://www.food52.com/recipes... And here's a sweet preparation: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I bought some today to use to make a chicken chow mein...Old school American/Chinese, Clean the 'fridge style to use up a couple of chicken breasts.
With some kale (no bok choy at the market), bean spouts, and homemade fried noodles.

Image083

You could make them Indian-style, into a soup style that can be teamed up with rice or naan bread. Here's a recipe from my blog, you can easily susbstitute the yellow mung bean for green.
http://masalaart.wordpress...

Image083

And of course, you can leave out the bottle gourd!

I use them instead of lentils in Majadara, sometimes.

How about a Thai flavored dish? But with mung beans in the mix instead of noodles..Sliced Chicken (soaked in lime, salt, garlic, bit of ginger). Sliced carrots and onions, and mung beans..and some hot red chili pepper thread cut slices.
Gently saute the chicken in oil..add the onions, then carrots and mung beans..and warm through (lightly cooked almost raw crunchy veggies here). Then dress it with: fish sauce (or soy sauce to sub), lime juice, brown sugar or honey, a touch of light oil, more salt if needed)..balance the salt--acid--sweet..taste; adjust. and dress it.
Top with some crushed dry roasted peanuts on the plates.

Here are the ingredients that a shop used to make a cold salad. I've made it just guessing at the measurements. It wasn't soupy, just a little sauce.

Mung beans
Cilantro
Lemon
Red curry paste
Soy sauce
Garlic
Dijon mustard
Olive oil

What about throwing them into any stir fry?

Image083

Wanted to add one more, I often eat mung beans prepared as a 'thoran', Kerala-style, with rice congee. Soak the mung overnight so that it gets nice and tender; then stir fry with tempered mustard seeds, curry leaves, turmeric powder and grated or finely chopped coconut.

I went ahead and used them in stir-fry with baby bok choy, and tofu I quickly marinated in soy sauce, olive oil, and garlic. I cooked the mung beans (no soaking necessary) for 20 min, then after pan frying the tofu to be crispy, I used the marinade to stir fry the bok choy and then added the cooked mung beans to heat them. Worked out great!

Dsc00426

I grew up eating mung beans as a Chinese dessert. Basically, I just simmer them with a generous amount of sugar (I usually use "raw" sugar, but I've been thinking I'd like to try palm sugar) until they're quite tender and still soupy. It would be great with a splash of coconut milk or shredded coconut or some ground nuts eaten warm.

Scan0004

Some of these answers refer to mung bean sprouts, others use cooked whole mung beans, and still others use skinned and split dry mung beans. Important to differentiate!

Open-uri20121010-19560-7ckhkl-0

I really don't have much experience with mung beans (that's the disclaimer), but if I were you, I'd try to make falafel out of them! I always thought falafel was made exclusively out of chickpeas but heard a story on NPR a couple days ago saying that Egyptians use fava beens. Might be worth a shot to try mung!

If you do try and it works, let us know!