NO GREEN THUMB NEEDED FOR OUR SELF-WATERING HERB KIT. SHOP NOW »

Bite size brats in the crockpot?

I'm making beer brats in the crockpot for a work event tomorrow. I need to serve them bite size (cut into thirds or quarters). I already have them seared but am wondering if I can cut them now (easy!) or if I should wait until tomorrow when they're done in the CP and cut them at work (hard).
They'll be crockpotting on a bed of onion, cabbage, apples, and beer.

asked by sweetcorn over 3 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'd cut them now. They'll get more flavor from your additions. Brats and beer, and your additions are pretty forgiving and they shouldn't dry out or give up too much moisture with all that stuff in there.

51d6debe 8184 4f26 9614 c25e2aa571c3  p3200173

On the other hand, if they are already cut up they can lose their structural integrity in the slow cooker, as in lose what's left of their casings and just turn to tasty sausage flavored gunk. There's a reason they go into those casings in the first place.

9a61d3c7 2821 4579 8601 c61c43d1c19f  img 0472

At the hotel I used to work in, we did breakfasts with mini sausages often. One trick I learnt: instead of cutting sausages to make them small, pinch where you would normally cut it, break the meat in that area up, and twist the casing, making a new itty bitty sausage. Works well!