🔎

• 13

• 3025

what is the best brand of cinnamon

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

The answer to that question depends upon who's answering and the purpose it will be used for. There are delicate, floral varieties and those with strong, sweet, spicy flavors. As a general rule, you won't find the best at a grocery store, you'll have to go to a specialty purveyor to find top quality spices.

Marian is an editor at Food52.

I've had great luck with Penzey's brand of spices, including cinnamon.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Voted the Best Answer!

This won't help on the brand front but if you can get Saigon or Vietnamese cinnamon, go for it -- has wonderful fragrance!

Wendiamm added over 1 year ago

Believe it or not, I get my cinnamon from Cinnabon. I don't buy the buns, but I do love the spice.

P1030363
TheBunAlsoRises added over 1 year ago

I love the Vietnamese cinnamon from Penzey's, the smell is incredible!

2007-09-11e-s4
WileyP added over 1 year ago

Dittoes on the Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon It was one of the first spices I ordered from them when I first received their catalog. They sell it in volumes of 1 ounce through 1 pound.

2010-09-15_14.22.07
calendargirl added over 1 year ago

You may have to experiment a bit to find one you like, but it's important to buy any spice or dried herb from a purveyor where there is rapid turnover so that you are assured of a fresh product. Penzey's is terrific of course and as mentioned, grocery stores tend to be not great in this way.

Nili added over 1 year ago

I have found that the organic cinnamon from the bulk dispenser at my local Whole Foods is great and cheap in comparison to buying anything in a jar (with the added benefit of being organic). I only go to whole foods for a few specific items and this one is high on the list.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

Yes, Penzeys sells fresh, top-quality cinnamon and other herbs and spices -- but at almost twice the price of other, equally good, specialty spice dealers. Someone has to pay for the endless stream of catalogs they send out once you're on their mailing list (and it won't be me). You can read about the different cinnamons available here:

http://www.thespicehouse...

While I most often reach for Vietnamese cinnamon, I keep a jar of Ceylon on hand for Mexican dishes and a bottle of Korintje for baking, especially if it's someone else's recipe which could easily be overpowered by substituting the much-stronger Vietnamese.

2010-09-15_14.22.07
calendargirl added over 1 year ago

Thanks, ChefOno, for the info on The Spice House. Just spent a while on the web site. That is where I will place my next order!

Michele Ludmer added over 1 year ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I just bought Vietnamese cinnamon from Kalustian's in NYC. Hope it's as good as the Penzey's - although I will buy from there next time!

Gabriella Lemon added over 1 year ago

Oh! I have been looking for a good cinnamon purchase [ and a reason to go to Kalustian's! ] :)

Junechamp

My personal favorite is Vann's Saigon Cinnamon. I order it online from www.vannsspices.com