🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

My Chili is too spicy!!!

How can I make a way-to-spicy chili less spicy without diluting the taste?

asked by hungrystep about 2 years ago

Add some kind of dairy to it. Sour cream and or cheddar cheese. Otherwise maybe more sauteed veggies? Like onion is easy to add and wlll only make it more flavorful. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the help!

In addition to fat, acid can help cut down on the spiciness. Adding some lemon juice or a can of tomato sauce will diminish the spiciness without diluting the flavor. But if it is waaaaay too spicy still, you may also end up having to increase the proportions of other ingredients if you want to salvage the chili (or you can mix it into rice or eat it with cornbread or polenta, which is what I usually do with chili anyway).

Thank you so much for your help! This is a new trick for me!

You can freeze it and use later---the spices will diminish.

Face

Make another 1/2 recipe without spice and add it. Freeze the extra.

That potato idea is so neat!

I, personally, always end up making much too spicy chili by accident. I do what one of the previous posters suggested and load on the cheddar and sour cream. Drinking a tall glass of milk helps, too!

Waffle3

Unfortumately, it's a culinary myth that a potato will absorb excess salt -- or capsaicin. Robert Wolke, professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh, author of What Einstein Told His Cook, explains (edited for clarity):

Potatoes will soak up salty water but they don't selectively extract salt out of the water. Would you be surprised if a sponge placed in salt water came out tasting salty? Of course not. The concentration of salt in the water -- the amount of salt per quart -- is not affected.

http://www.washingtonpost...