🔎

A question about a recipe: Thai Peanut Butter Cups

I have a question about the ingredient "lime zest, grated" on the recipe "Thai Peanut Butter Cups" from vrunka. Can I substitute lemon zest for lime zest?

Food52_02-21-12-8672
Merrill

Marian is an editor at Food52.

You totally can. The flavor will be a little bit different, but they should still turn out great.

Sausage2

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I would say you definitely can, but I think orange zest might even be a little better.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I agree. Any citrus zest would probably work well. Orange and chocolate are a great flavor pairing.

Junechamp

I'm sure you can substitute any citrus zest for the lime, but won't the dish lose some of its "Thai-ness?"

Img_1884_tillie
vrunka added over 1 year ago

I agree that you can use any citrus zest and it will be tasty, but it will lose its quintessential Thai flavor. But if you try it, let us know how it turned out!

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Agree that you can, but I find that the lemon fragrance isn't as assertive as lime or any other citrus, and it tends to get lost in strong flavors like chocolate or peanut butter.