🔎

• 3

• 611

A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

I have a question about the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. I have a recipe that calls for a butter rub, mixed with pancetta and herbs just before roasting; no brining. Is there any issue if I put butter rub under the skin and salt the outside three days in advance?

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Am I reading your question correctly? You want to salt AND butter the turkey 3 days prior to roasting? If you put butter under the skin, it's like putting a barrier on the meat that the salt can't penetrate, which would defeat the purpose of salting the turkey. I think that's why the recipe tells you to rub the butter under right before roasting.

Leslie Whitten added over 1 year ago

That makes sense! Thanks so much for the quick response.

russ parsons added over 1 year ago

that's the right answer. you can add the butter just before roasting, though. sounds good, inf act. by the way, one year i tried basting half of the turkey with butter and not basting the other half at all and found only a very slight difference in browning. think spf 30 v. spf 35.