🔎

• 7

• 1835

• See other questions tagged:
    • eggs

Help with eggs for a large group

I need a fool proof way to cook eggs for an eggs Benedict type dish...for 30 people. I have plenty of ramekins and 2 double/convection ovens. Would I get a better result adding cream to the eggs? Do not want them over or under cooked...

Lorigoldsby
Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Are you making coddled/baked eggs or poached eggs (the latter being the traditional eggs Benedict preparation)?

You can pre-poach eggs, drain and keep refrigerated, resting on paper towels, until service. Then just heat them in a pan of barely simmering water for 30 seconds to 1 minute before serving.

There are a million techniques for poaching eggs, depending on your preference and how much of a purist you want to be. If you're not comfortable poaching directly in water, you can wrap each egg in a piece of oiled saran wrap and drop that in the simmering water for 3 minutes or until done to your liking.

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added over 1 year ago

I'd rather not simmer/poach....really want to bake or coddle for ease of prep/transport

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added over 1 year ago

"purist"...I want the effect without the effort! I can poach eggs...but not for 30 people!

inpatskitchen added over 1 year ago

Take a look at this...maybe it will help

Depending on how deep your ramekins are you can "coddle" them in a bain marie for about two minutes. You might want to look for pasteurized eggs as these have already had a degree of heating.

inpatskitchen added over 1 year ago

ri...I don't know how formal your affair is, but I ran across this recipe for a strata that looks interesting and can be prepped ahead.
http://www.examiner.com...

Flower-bee
Droplet added over 1 year ago

You could try to do it in a muffin pan or two, in the oven. I'd fill the cavities with water about 1/3 of the way or so, to get the eggs floating and to raise them to the wider part above so they don't take the shape of a cup. And if you serve them on halved circle buns or sliced bagels, the round shape might actually make them look more formal.