🔎

Best uses for cream of tartar

I know that cream of tartar is a key ingredient in snickerdoodles and is a great stabilizing agent, but what other uses are there? My tiny cream of tartar has been gathering dust.

Twitter
Me

Kenzi is the Associate Editor of Food52.

Meringues! Just a pinch when you're whipping works magic.

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

You can mix cream of tartar with vinegar into a paste, to use as a scrubbing agent for hard water stains and soap scum. This paste can be used as a metal cleaner, like cleaning and buffing copper pots. And it can be used as a stain remover for fabric.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Voted the Best Answer!

You can combine it with baking soda to make baking powder. Just make sure that your cream of tarter is fresh. If not, it will leave a nasty bitter taste in your baked goods. (It sounds like your tiny container doesn't qualify as "fresh," but it should have a "use by" date on it where you can check.) The ratio is one teaspoon of baking soda to 2 teaspoons of cream of tarter plus one teaspoon of corn starch. ;o)

CarlaCooks added over 1 year ago

Scones and snickerdoodle cookies!