🔎

• 5

• 5542

• See other questions tagged:
    • pie
How_to_make_a_custard_part_1

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Voted the Best Answer!

You can make pumpkin pie ahead of time. Three days is ok, but a few things will happen to your pie which will change its eating experience. If time saving tricks are what you're after, I can suggest a few:
line, blind-bake and freeze crust until you're ready to make pie.
make the filling 6 days before you're going to bake pie.
bake pie the night before you are going to eat it and leave it at room temperature to cool down.
If you make your pie a few days in advance the filling/custard will dry out and pull away from the side of the crust. it will taste more dense every day it waits to be eaten.
I like to eat my pie at room temperature so I bake it the night before Thanksgiving. It's more delicate this way but I feel the flavors come through best if it's not super cold from the fridge.
Happy Holiday! I hope this helps!

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

Also, the crust will soften and become distinctly less flakey with each passing hour. Bake the night before at earliest.

brandon added over 1 year ago

these guys are totally right. I would roll out your dough, line the tin and throw it back in the freezer. make your custard base and leave that in the fridge also. then when youre ready prebake your crust, fill and finish.

CarlaCooks added over 1 year ago

Quick supplemental question: if you line your pie dish with the crust and freeze it, do you need to let it thaw before blind baking it, or can it go straight from the freezer to the oven? Would this be bad for the pie dish if it's made of glass or another non-metal material?

amysarah added over 1 year ago

If you mean freezing the crust unbaked in the dish, I'd defrost it first (overnight in the fridge is easy.) Otherwise, I'd be concerned that when you bake it, the crust will still be underdone when the filling is set and ready to come out.