Waffle3

Also, the crust will soften and become distinctly less flakey with each passing hour. Bake the night before at earliest.

these guys are totally right. I would roll out your dough, line the tin and throw it back in the freezer. make your custard base and leave that in the fridge also. then when youre ready prebake your crust, fill and finish.

Quick supplemental question: if you line your pie dish with the crust and freeze it, do you need to let it thaw before blind baking it, or can it go straight from the freezer to the oven? Would this be bad for the pie dish if it's made of glass or another non-metal material?

Farmer's_market

If you mean freezing the crust unbaked in the dish, I'd defrost it first (overnight in the fridge is easy.) Otherwise, I'd be concerned that when you bake it, the crust will still be underdone when the filling is set and ready to come out.