🔔
🔎

does anyone know if activa (transglutaminase) will have any reaction with whole butter?

also curious if anyone knows what temperature matlodextrin breaks down at, if any.

asked by brandon almost 2 years ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Hm, that's a tough one. It sounds like the folks from Modernist Cuisine might be a great resource for this. Can you explain a bit more about what you're doing with it?

there are two types of activa, rm and ym. one specifically for meat, the other for dairy. I do not want it to react with the butter, but only the meat.

Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Activa will only bind to your proteins, so it shouldn't react with butter at in all a recipe. I would imagine, though, that (depending on when your butter is added), too much would prevent activa from working as well as it could.

Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

The Modernist Cuisine Team says, "Activa won’t react with butter. As for maltodextrin, do you mean breakdown or dissolve? Which type of maltodextrin are you using?"