Substitute for masa harisa

I'm currently living in France and wanting to make traditional Mexican food. One problem: no masa harisa to make tortillas. Is there a substitute, or a practical way around this dilemma? Merci beaucoup!

asked by ariellauren over 1 year ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

I've read that if you're using masa harina as a thickener, cornmeal or flour will provide a similar texture (not the taste, but it might do in a pinch). For tortillas, you might be in a bit of a pickle -- most substitutions won't provide you with the end product you're looking for. I've come across an interesting hack that has you grind tortilla chips into a fine powder with a processor, but I really think saving Mexican for another night and mail-ordering yourself some real masa harina might be the way to go.

Are you living in Paris? You could try G Detout. They really do have everything.I don't think there is a really good sub for Masa Harina. To get the flavor but not the consistency you might try adding some corn meal to a crepe recipe. I have done this before Masa was available in my town and you will end up with a pliable tortilla like substitute. not the real thing but.....

Waffle3

If you think about it, masa harina is already a less than ideal short-cut. Can you find dry field corn in France? Making masa from scratch is pretty straight forward, if not a bit laborious.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet