What can you use instead of morel mushrooms

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 1 year ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Morel mushrooms have a very woodsy, earthy flavor, so if you must substitute, I'd use another variety of wild mushrooms (dried should be fine), or you could try something like porcini or hen-of-the-woods (the former might be easier to find).

Monita_photo

Fresh Chanterelles or dried porcini mushrooms can be used

Fresh chanterelles should be arriving soon, although I haven't seen them yet. That said, morels are kind of unique for their fancy cap, texture and flavor. The dried version can't come close to the fresh ones.

Susan.streit
carbonarasuz

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Any variety of wild mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, maitake, etc.) should be sufficient. I would avoid portobellos and white button mushrooms. If you can find/afford morels, they are a real treat!

Susan.streit
carbonarasuz

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52