🔎

pecan pie filling that bakes through my crust

I have my mom's recipe.. it calls for me to use an uncooked pie crust, add filling, and bake.. the problem is that it always bakes through the bottom of the crust, making it stick to the pie pan. Should I blind bake it first? I would ask mom, but she's no longer with us..

Me

Kenzi is the Associate Editor of Food52.

So sorry to hear that! And yes, I would recommend blind baking it first -- you should have a sturdier crust this way.

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Pecan pies don't need to be blind baked but you could do it. Think the reason its sticking is because there is spillover when you pour the filling into the crust or you may have some holes in the crust. If there are holes, then blind baking won't help.

Cumberland_pass_atv_trip_-_july_20__2013_019
JanetFL added over 1 year ago

This has happened to me at times, too. I've come to the conclusion that if I fill the crust too full, it will spill over the edge of the crust and seep between the dough and the dish. Hope this helps.....