🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Where can I see or read about mixing sugar syrup 250 F with egg yolks or eggs. It seems that I always make the mixture curdle?

asked by KKool almost 2 years ago
Steph
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

What are you trying to make? Eggs will coagulate at less than 250 degrees. For things like a buttercream, you have to slowly temper the hot sugar syrup into the whipping eggs so that they don't coagulate. The easiest way to do it is a stand mixer and trickle the syrup slowly down the side of the bowl into the whipping eggs.

I guess you are asking about European buttercreams. Finecooking magazine has had some fine articles on making Swiss and Italian style. They make have it available free on finecooking.com

Whether you're making an Italian buttercream with egg whites or a French one with yolks, as Stephanie says, it is critical that the sugar syrup be poured very slowly down the side of the mixing bowl with the whisk rotating on high speed. The syrup must not hit the whisk, or it will spin a mess you'll wish you could fling into outer space. Persevere! The first time you get it right, you'll feel like you should win a prize.