Valid in US Only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. Free shipping and discounted gift card offer valid through 11/30 at 11:59pm EST.
🔕 🔔

I'm looking for a good recipe for beef brisket. A Jewish friend of the family used to make it and I remember it having a lot of onions.

It may have also had some type of tomato sauce or paste in it. The juices were a reddish brown; and like I said, a lot of sliced onions. Anything close, I'm sure will be great!

asked by Pamela731 about 3 years ago

I can't add the link but a wonderful recipe was just posted the other day in "genius recipes" for Nach Waxmans beef brisket. I plan on making it and it looks amazing. It uses a ton of onions. Look in features, genius recipes and you will see it.

I think this is the recipe you're looking for:

Thank you sdebrango! I'm going to give this link posting thing another try -- let's see how it goes:

Trying it Sunday too. I think it hits all the high points.

Allow me, if you will, to offer a second option. This recipe originates from New York's Temple Emanu-El:

There's not much actual prep work to be done but the technique does require a substantial amount of time. Trust me though, it's well worth the wait.

Side note: I know I'm in a distinct minority of Americans who prefers the point half of the brisket. Most favor the flat because it contains less fat. Big mistake if you ask me. Fat = flavor! And to be clear, the fat I'm referring to is internal marbling. Both cuts should have a substantial fat cap which should remain on during cooking. What you're after is the internal fat, most of which renders out during cooking producing extra juicy flavor and a finer texture.

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Ruth Reichl, the noted American food writer, published her mother's recipe for Corned Beef Brisket on the pbs website. I'm not sure we're able to put links in these posts again, so I'll give it to you this way: slash food slash recipes slash brisket-miriam-reichls-corned-beef-ham I'm not sure why the word 'ham' is included because there's no ham involved. Looks delicious!

Not what I think of when someone mentions the words "Jewish" and "brisket" but very interesting nonetheless. The term "ham" is assuredly from the use of mustard, brown sugar and whole cloves.

There is also what you could call a 1950/60's semi-classic, brisket made with Lipton's onion dip. I think you lay the brisket on a sheet of aluminum foil, dump the dip packet contents over it, and wrap it up. Roast in the oven until done. Very popular in its day, and probably still widely made.

Susan, the Lipton's onion soup version was the first recipe I used on brisket. It was good, despite the soup-from-an-envelope!

Go to FineCooking.Com and look up their brisket. The family were humming throughout dinner in happiness when I made it.

Here are two recipes for sweet and one savory, but both delicious!