🔎

• 5

• 1462

• See other questions tagged:
    • baking
Fc_macaroon_830

Joanne Chang is the pastry chef/owner of Flour Bakery+Cafe and chef/co-owner of Myers+Chang in Boston.

I used these often at one bakery I worked at. They work pretty well. You still often have to trim the cakes as they will still dome a little but they don't dome as much.

You can achieve the same effect by folding strips of aluminum foil to fit the depth of your cake pan(s), and wrapping them around the pans as you would the strips.

Gator_cake

I use them if I'm doing a large and fancy cake. I find they keep the cakes almost perfectly flat, even with a 15-inch round.

ATG117 added over 1 year ago

Never heard of these before? Why do they work (I read something about them keeping the sides of the pan cooler, but not sure why that would affect doming)? Are they reusable?

Yes, the ones you can purchase are reusable, though I reuse foil strips as well. They effectively create conditions similar to a water bath used for baking custards, including cheesecakes. However, if you baked a cake in a water bath, it would approximately never get done; hence, wrapping strips. They delay heat penetration to the perimeter of the cake so that it and the center get done at pretty much the same time so that at best a small dome forms.