Should you cook rice with the lid on or off?

asked by Dourmet almost 2 years ago
Monita_photo

Lid on

Thanks for your response, Monita!

Lid on for me. Bring the water to a boil, lower heat as much as possible, cover tightly for 18-20 minutes. Perfect rice every time.

I've never tried lowering the heat, but will do! Thank you!

2007-09-11e-s4

Agree with Monita. Bring it to a boil, put a lid on it and let it steep for 25 minutes. At my altitude (8,000'), I actually steep it over a very, very, very low flame.

Thanks, WileyP!

Thanks, WileyP!

Monita_photo

Happy to help.

Baci1

Both. Bring the rice and water to a boil, simmer uncovered until the water level falls just a bit below the top of the rice. Then cover and lower the heat to it's lowest setting and cook until all the liquid is absorbed by the rice. Fluffy up rice and you're good to go. It's how my mother taught me to make rice on the stovetop.

2007-09-11e-s4

Welcome, Dourmet - I did mean that at sea level you bring it to a boil, put a lid on it and steep it off the heat for 20-25 minutes or so. I have to keep a bit of heat on because water boils at a mere 197° here.

Good luck!