🔔
🔎

What is the spice turmeric good in? What flavor does it give to foods?

asked by Kymberly about 2 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

Turmeric is a key spice in many curries, and it's also used in some Middle Eastern cooking. It's often used as much for its color as its flavor.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

I find that adding turmeric in many of the indian dishes I make tends to liven up the color of the vegetables, especially the green one. (the purple anthocyanin rich vegetables on the other hand turn ugly ), the flavor is subtle and it has a numbing effect if added in excess. Turmeric is used to suppress coughs. adding 1/4 teaspoon to warm milk & honey along with a pinch of crushed black pepper, is great for a scratchy cough.

Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and is something we should be eating in greater quantity. It comes from a root and looks similar to ginger, to which it is related. Last year I found a recipe for turmeric "chai" on Mark's Daily Apple that uses turmeric. I try to drink a cup a day. Here is the recipe: 1 c almond or coconut milk, two small slices fresh ginger, 1/2 t. turmeric, 1/4 t. each of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, sharp paprika, a tiny pinch of salt, 1 honey. Heat almond or coconut milk with the ginger slices. In a small bowl, measure and mix the spices. When the milk is hot, add 1 tablespoon to the spices and stir well. Add the paste of spices to the milk along with a spoonful of honey. Drink immediately.

I like a little turmeric with cumin and garlic as a rub for chicken thighs. It gives a beautiful golden color. Honestly, I can rarely taste a little dried turmeric when it is mixe d with other spices, but it is pleasing to the eye.

Scan0004

Too much turmeric can make food taste bitter -- follow recipe amounts! And it's added to mustard to make it look ballpark-yellow.
I have read that a typical daily amount in Indian diets is only about 1/2 teaspoon, which is what research has been based on, so the health benefits don't require extraordinary amounts.

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I like to use turmeric alone, without other spices, as it has gentle and subtle flavor. For example in a marinade with yogurt and garlic, for grilled chicken. Or with coconut milk in mild curries. Also works nicely with paprika.