🔔
🔎

Gluten-free flour mix

A quick bread recipe calls for mostly chestnut and rice flours plus tiny amounts of amaranth and millet flours. Can I leave those last two out? Are there substitutes?

asked almost 2 years ago
Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I see no reason at all that you can't leave the amaranth and millet out. Make up the difference with the chestnut and rice, or you could try another GF flour like tapioca or buckwheat. Barley is extremely low in gluten and is sometimes OK for folks with gluten-sensitivity.

P1291120

I'd stay away from barley if cooking for friends or others who are gluten-free -- why take the chance? And if they are Celiacs, then you MUST stay away.

I'm glad the substitution worked. The amaranth and millet were likely there both to add a certain flavor (amaranth in particular is rather "earthy") and to jolt the protein level (rice flours are VERY low in protein, especially when compared to wheat flours, which is one of the reasons you can't -- successfully -- just replace wheat flour with rice).

Chris_in_oslo

Thx, I think I have both tapioca and buckwheat.

Scan0004

Sometimes I find a recipe with small amounts of a flour I don't have on hand. If I have the whole grain/seed/nut, I use the small electric coffee grinder (aka my spice/flax grinder). I've done this for millet -- so I have an easily stored source rather than a more perishable flour.

Chris_in_oslo

I was thinking about doing just that, susan g. But I went with some tapioca and buckwheat. The loaf just came out of the oven, and the texture looks like it's going to be great.

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Sounds great, Greenstuff. Let us know how it turns out!!

Chris_in_oslo

The report! I had made three savory quick breads, each pretty different from the other and only one gluten free. And everyone liked the gluten-free one best. It was dominated by chestnut and white rice flour, with some tapioca and buckwheat flours (thanks again, Emily). The texture was great, the flavors--cheeses, herbs, nuts, olives, etc., worked too. Thanks!

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Thanks so much for writing back, greenstuff. I'm so happy your bread turned out so well! would you share the GF recipe you used?? all the best!

Chris_in_oslo

I used this recipe from a blog by David Santori, which I found by googling something like gluten-free chestnut flour recipe:
http://frenchieandtheyankee...
changing the flours as we talked about, leaving out the prosciutto (vegetarian friends), and adding some slivered almonds, because I didn't have as many pine nuts as I thought I had. Mine was much darker than what's shown for the original recipe, partly I guess because of my buckwheat flour, but I think my chestnut flour must be darker than his too.