🔎

Does anyone know of a sauce for baked ham that's neither sweet nor mustardy?

I'm looking to do something with a HoneyBaked mail-order ham that's already been cooked and "sweet-cracklin" glazed. I'm thinking of a sauce that plays up mace or maybe curry spices, or perhaps something like a relish. Thanks

110
Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

You could play with a variation of Red Eye Gravy. Which at it's simplest is reduced ham stock and very strong coffee. Almost a demi-galze.
Some thicken with cornstarch. Adding some cloves a pinch of cinnamon could be good additions and a splash of red wine.

110
bugbitten added over 1 year ago

Thanks, Sam, I'm realizing that I said "baked" but the ham is smoked. It's a gift from my Tennessee sister, so the Red Eye idea seems on the mark. I'll hunt up a few recipes for that, but I'll need a sub for ham stock. Nice direction to go.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Reduce some beef stock or a purchased demiglaze..that'll do for the Red Eye. And you'll probably get at least some drippings from the ham when you warm it. I hope you're making butter milk biscuits for breakfast/brunch the next day leftovers (with pepper jelly please) (g).

110
bugbitten added over 1 year ago

Ham with beef stock is a wild kind of idea. Not that I wouldn't do it.

Barb
Miafoodie added over 1 year ago

In a pinch, Knorr's sell a ham stock bullion.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

It's going to depend on how much you need and how many you're serving. The red-eye can be made with just the smoked ham, you trim off the fatty bits and render and then brown the slices.
It breaks pretty easily..so some people add an touch of flour or cornstarch. So you can use a combination of both with thickener if you're doing table service for a group. Your ham will probably have one side that's rather fatty to trim for rendering more ham flavor.

PazzoNico added over 1 year ago

Bourbon would be good in there somehow...

Buddhacat
SKK added over 1 year ago

Mace is sweet like nutmeg. Curry is hot and sweet. Good mustard has both the flavors. Ginger is the best to cut salt. How about a ginger chutney? Sounds like your ham is already cooked, so the relish will add the defining touch. And there is this recipe that is amazing and enhances everything. No need to can it - I make it and freeze it http://food52.com/recipes...

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

I would go a bit exotic, since ham is a "sweet-meat", try something a bit pungent like chinese hoisin sauce.
Usually found in the Asian section of your food store it might be liquidy or a paste. The paste is better.
Thin it to your liking with a bit of vinegar and soy sauce - not to much or it will be too salty. You can bump up the flavor with some grated garlic and ginger...even some whiskey!
Garnish, if you wish, with shredded scallion.

cwya added over 1 year ago

I'm from southwest so will share a local ham treatment: bueno chile from mild to hot if adventurous (this should be close to meat aisle or in cold frig in stores)a little bourbon or water and use ham drippings in pan after cooking to mix with some onion, cornstorch or flour, render liquid til thickened

Louisa added over 1 year ago

The Red Eye gravy I grew up with is thin, just coffee and renderings from country ham.
What a about a chutney? A favorite sauce for meat here is Henry Bain Sauce, savory and just a bit sweet.

Spots mom added over 1 year ago

pomegranate sauce is nice with a smoked ham. thicken slightly as a syrup/jam then add a dry sherry and herb blend warm in a saucepan then baste. a well made pomegranate jelly/preserve is excellent. also a nice condiment in place of cranberry

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added over 1 year ago

Food in Jars has a nice persimmon chutney that might complement your ham: http://www.foodinjars.com.... Click on the "magazine" Deep Autumn and scroll around and you'll see the persimmon chutney.

110
bugbitten added over 1 year ago

So many great ideas! Well, I chickened out a bit and made a simple maple mustard. But I also made a very peppery and oniony chutney with apples and currants, but not sweet at all. BTW the HoneyBaked ham was not salty the way a Smithfield would have been. Thanks for the help and Happy New Year!